Intel, with its sixth-generation Skylake desktop processors, Intel Core i7-6700K and Core i5-6600K really happened. As the name suggests, both CPUs are “K”, fully open, and based on the new Skylake architecture built on 14nm process technology. In this guide, you will get to know Best Motherboards for i7 6700K.
Intel has always been very strict with which the processor models are compatible with which the blue giant Shi sets the chip. However, a Chinese motherboard manufacturer has come up with the LGA 1151 socket motherboard model that allows the installation of 6th, 7th, 8th, and ninth-generation core processors. That is, of all the processors that are compatible with this socket model. This is proportionately against what Intel is making generational changes to us every time.
One of the things that are often criticized about Intel is its poor compatibility between different generations of processors. Gone are the days when a motherboard with a special socket, such as the LGA 775, was able to serve a (now) Intel Core 2 Quad processor from an older Intel Pentium 4 Prescott processor.
When Intel introduced core architecture with its first models, it replaced the new motherboard socket with the LGA 1156. The second generation and the third shared the LGA 1155 socket. And so did the Skylake Corps, which reached the 6th Generation Corps with its celebrities. So far it has been doing something.
However, Intel has always told us that the chipsets that mount these motherboards are only compatible with the generation of processors to which they are compatible. That is, we cannot mount a seventh-generation processor on a chip-set motherboard for the eighth or ninth-generation core. Or at least you didn’t go down without explaining yourself first. Because someone in China must have figured out how to adapt to this range of Intel H310C chipset core processors.
Intel i7-6700k Overview
The i7-6700K processor has a high-end CPU. This is the sixth generation of the Intel Core CPU family, named “Skylake”. Four physical cores (four virtualized processors thanks to four hyper-threading technologies) run at 4.o GHz with turbo up to 4.2 GHz.
The sixth generation of Intel’s CPUs is called Skylake and is an evolution of “Broadwell”, which belongs to the fifth generation. One major change in this new micro cartridge is compatibility with DDR4 memory. For this reason, Skylock processors use a new socket, called the LGA1151.
It is not compatible with previous generation processors. The i7-6700k processor requires an LGA 1151 socket and a new Z170 chipset. With new Skylac processors and Z170ch chipsets, Intel aims to improve performance by up to 30% over older systems.
The new platform DDR4 provides support for higher levels of memory and overclocking. Some examples of motherboards with Z170 chipset:
- Asus Z170-P
- Maximus VIII Extreme
- Z70 Disease Maximus VIII Formula
- Super Micro C7Z170-SQ
- EVGA Z70 FTW
- ASUS Maximus VIII Hero
- MSI Z170A Silly Plus
The motherboards for i7 6700k is a 4-core, 8-thread chip with a core frequency of 4.0GHz in all four cores. The TDP is 91W and is only compatible with the LGA 1151 socket. Key Features of i7-6700k:
Features Intel i7 6700k motherboard
- Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0: Dynamically increases the processor frequency to 4.2 GHz when applications demand more performance. Speed when needed, energy-saving when you don’t need.
- Intel Technology Hyper-Threading: Allows each processor core to work on 8 tasks simultaneously on two tasks simultaneously providing parallel processing capabilities for multitasking with applications.
- Intel Smart Cache: 8 MB of shared cache that allows for faster access to data. This allows dynamic and efficient cache allocation to reduce the lag of frequently used data and improve performance.
- CPU Overclock Enabled: Fully unlocked, allows maximum flexibility for base, power, base clock, and memory loss ratio overclocking.
- High-clock-capable graphics: Unlocked graphics multiplication that allows overclocking to increase the graphics clock speed.
- Integrated Memory Controller: Supports 2 channels for DDR4-2133 and 2 channels per channel for DDR3L-1600 memory. It supports Intel Xtreme Memory (Intel XMP) profile based memory.
- PCI Express 3.0 interface: 1 × 16, 2 × 8, 1 × 8, or 2 × 4 configurations with 16 lanes for fast access to peripherals and up to 8 GT / s for networking And card design depends on the mother.
- Chipset compatibility motherboard: Compatible with all sets of Intel 100 series with the latest BIOS and drivers.
- Intel HD Graphics 5303: Integrated 3D performance for mainstream gaming with Microsoft Direct X12 and 4K Ultra HD resolution. The Intel HD Graphics 530’s dynamic graphics frequency is up to 1150MHz.
- Intel Quick Sync Video Technology: Multimedia processing for explicitly high-speed file conversion for portable media players or online sharing, including support for HEVC (H.265).
intel i7 6700k motherboard socket
A new platform has been introduced in the popular Skylake desktop processors in the market today. This means that they are compatible with the Z170 and H170 motherboard chipsets. The Intel Z170 chipset brings a full set of motherboard features to the table. There are many motherboards on the market that support the Intel i7-6700k which are all excellent.
As mentioned above, you can see some examples of motherboards with synchronous chipset and choose the motherboard that is right for you.
the best chipset for i7 6700k
As far as overclocking is concerned, this processor is very powerful and leaves room for overclocking. Keep an eye on them while monitoring the temperature and if you are really an overclocking fan, you better think of pairing your CPU with an excellent liquid cooling system.
This CPU actually runs at 4.2 GHz, which is already a respectable milestone, but with a great system of overclocking and cooling, you can reach really impressive clock rates. We do not recommend changing the voltage to overclock the Intel processor at any point.
Although there are many guides and testimonials that have increased the voltage of their Intel Core i7-6700k to 4900 MHz, but with a lot of system instability. With a good CPU cooling system and just more than one increase, you can reach a fairly high frequency without increasing the processor voltage.
- Intel Core i7-6700k Processor Basics
- Name of Intel Core i7-6700K processor
- Cache 8 MB Smart Cache
- Bus speed 8 GT / s DMI3
- Number of QPI links 0
- 64-bit instruction set
- Instruction Set Extensions SSE4.1 / 4.2, AVX 2.0
- Embedded options not available
- Manufacturing process 14 nm
- Number of cores 4
- Number of topics 8
- Processor base frequency 4 GHz
- Maximum turbo frequency 4.2 GHz
- TDP 91W
i7-6700K vs i5-6600K
To compare between the i7-6700K and i5-6600K processors, there is nothing better than watching these two extremely interesting videos:
The long-awaited processor of the Skylake Intel Core i7-6700K has finally arrived. Details about the new architecture are somewhat unevenly distributed, along with reviews before the actual information about the architecture can be revealed. An important difference between the Skylake and the previous Hopewell / Broadwell generation is the elimination of the integrated voltage regulator.
The voltage regulation is a dyeing and is back on the motherboard, giving vendors another way to differentiate their products. The result is that it should lower the CPU temperature. A small change to the full range of BCL adjustments. BCLK has been canceled from Perry Ferrell and PCI Express Bus, which allows you to fix your overclock.
The other big difference we’re looking for is the VID. Moving into the small, 14nm manufacturing process, we expected low voltage and strict limits, but this is not the case. The Intel Core i7-6700K has settings between 1.296V and 1.312V, with voltages that propel the latest generation processors closer to their air cooling limits.
Hesswell’s Core i7-5960X can ambush solid surrounds as the trend starts with a low VID around 1.1V, but the architecture can handle a lot and climb to heights if you’re willing to pay for electricity. Can
Finally, while the Intel Core i7-6700K performs fairly well and at an ideal temperature, the core temperature and CPU are not as accurate in this generation. That said, a good cooler can work wonders.
Processor power consumption
With the CPU running at 1.375V, the power consumption in OCCT increased by about 30W. This system stays below 169W under full load. 1.45V is not enough to get stable 4.7GHz, you can’t risk CPU melting. Intel has made great strides in making Skylake an overcrowd-friendly architecture, but the performance is already much higher than the default.
We can get some good scaling performance in turbo mode, going from 4.6GHz, it gets about 12.2% faster.
Price and results of i7 6700k motherboard processor
best i7 6700k motherboard Skylock’s i7 is a quad-core processor with 6700K arguments, the fastest currently developed by Intel. Extremely wide to be used in the game world. Ideal. The i7-6700k offers a significant increase in performance compared to its predecessor. But it’s especially about video games that suspicion can arise. The question is, does this processor really need that much power? An i5-6600k is more than enough to make any latest generation game run smoothly. The Nan “K” i5-6600 is fine, in addition, it uses significantly less energy.
If, on the other hand, you work with rendering programs or professional programs that require a high-performance CPU, then the i7-6700k is really for you. A CPU that, however, I highly recommend especially for those looking for the best from the processor