Marriage Certificate is also known as Nikkah Nama in Pakistan. Refers to the contract of a wedding between an Adult male & a Female. It is a legal document that verifies the husband-wife relation — Both in terms of Law & Religion.
Types of Marriage Certificate in Pakistan
It’s important to know that there are two types of Marriage Certificate in Pakistan:
- Traditional Manual Written — Nikkah Nama (Urdu)
- NADRA Computerized Printed Marriage Certificate
Both Manual and Computerized Certificate versions are legal and authorized. The need to diversify according to the couple’s requirements.
There is a misconception that NADRA issues the Marriage Certificate. But it’s wrong NADRA doesn’t issue the Marriage Certificate directly. It established a proper system for that. It only Computerized it.
Here are the Authorities who Issues Nikkah Nama:
- Union Council
- TMA Office
- Cantonment Board Office
- Arbitration Council in Islamabad
Also Read: Nadra b form
Documents Requirement to Obtain Marriage Certificate
- CNIC of Groom
- CNIC of Bride
- CNIC copies of both parents of Husband & Wife
- CNIC Copy of (Nikah Registrar)
- Copy of Original (Nikkah Nama)
- Passport copies if one is a foreigner in a couple
Applying for NADRA Marriage Certificate
Once you gathered all the documents mentioned above. The submission process to apply for NADRA Certificate is relatively easy.
Following are the steps to go through:
- Review all documents and arrange them properly. Now visit your nearest Local Union offices in major cities of Pakistan, including (Lahore, Karachi, Faislabad, Multan and Peshawar, etc.). These offices are authorized by NADRA and provide an official Marriage Certificate.
- For cantonment residents, they can visit the cantonment board office.
- Small cities resident can reach their TMA offices.
- Lastly, for Capital Citizens, visit Arbitration Council Office.
- The office staff provides you an Application form to fill for NADRA Marriage Certificate.
- Re-check the documents if there is any mistake by the office staff tell them to correct it.
- Now, submit the form along with the required documents (mentioned above).
- You’ve done the whole process. The office will give you an estimated date to collect your Certificate.
Fees & TIME to Get Certificate
NADRA doesn’t directly explain the marriage certificate charges. The fees may vary from city to city. But these charges are officially declared by the concerned departments.
You can also check the: NADRA Fee Structure.
It may take a maximum of 5-15 days to collect your Computerized NADRA Marriage Certificate.
Furthermore, you can’t check the tracking online. The only way to get updates is by visiting the relevant office.
Importance of Marriage Certificate
NADRA Marriage Certificate is applicable on various occasions:
- Legal Proof of Marriage Contract
- To get Family Visa
- Personal Family Matters
- To open joint Bank Accounts and for Mutual Property Registry
Applying for Marriage Certificate Online
Currently, there is no way to apply for a marriage certificate online. If you’re living outside the country, you can contact Public and Private Law Associates. They have a professional team that can help you make the procedure easier at a very budget-friendly cost.
Duplicate Nikkah Nama
In case you lost or missed your Nikkah Nama, which is an essential document. You may be thinking, How can I get my Certificate Again without any hustle? So, visit your Local Union Council and concerned authorities to re-process your attested and authorized copy.
Those who are living Abroad like in SAUDIA, Kuwait, UK, or USA. The process can be crucial for them as they don’t have a physical presence in Pakistan.Read more about: How to get your covid-19 vaccination certificate?
Also Read: Cnic card